Te Umu Kohukohu Whetū programme
Tēnā koe e te iwi, ngā mihi mahana kia koe i tēnei wā, tēnā koe.
Ngā mihi kia koutou – thank you for registering. This page contains important event information for you. Our event is a kanohi-te-kanohi, Rārua-led umu kohukohu tied to the traditions of Matariki. It will be facilitated and guided by our whanaunga Eruera Keepa.
Our kaupapa is to revitalise and re-energise whānau for the coming year, restore mauri on our lands, farewell our departed, and bring people together in a traditional celebration of Ngāti Rāruatanga.
Timetable Monday 10 July
- 5:45 am Arrive gather at 44 Rarangi Road (View in Google Maps)
- 06:00am Whakatau
- 06:15am Te Umu Kohukohu Whetū begins
- 06:45am Ceremony finishes
- 06:50am Parakuihi
Please drive carefully as there is little streetlighting and there may be pedestrians.
Māori Wardens will be on site to guide vehicles to the parking area.
Kaimahi will escort kaumatua and whānau from your vehicle to the area for the ceremony.
At the event
- Covered seating is available for kaumatua
- Participants will receive a free Ngāti Rārua branded Matariki beanie
- Breakfast will be good coffee and tea, and hearty warm kai
- The event is scheduled to be finished by 07:30 am to allow time for those who need to get to mahi.
What to bring
At this stage the weather forecast for Sunday includes rain, so please be prepared in case it is wet and muddy underfoot on Monday. Keep yourself warm and dry – this means:
- Warm clothes – Jacket, hat, gloves
Photos and video
- Photos and video will be taken during the event for potential use on our website and or social media pages. If you do not wish to be filmed, please let one of our staff know.
- We ask that there be no photos, filming or recording during karakia. Whānau are free to take photos and make recordings the rest of the time.